I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Monday, February 2, 2009

"Super" weekend

Well it's Monday and the groundhog saw his shadow. I guess those two things go hand in hand. I'm not sure I really want six more weeks of Winter, I'm in a Spring kind of mind. As we all know there was a really big football game on last night. I do admit to being a football fan so of course I had to watch. The fun thing about not having your preferred team playing in the game is that you can watch the action and not be obsessed with one side winning. As a long suffering Minnesota Vikings fan I'm convinced that my great grandchildren will get to see them play in their next Superbowl so I suppose that makes me an optimist. However, I do like the Steelers rs and think they have a really cute quarterback so it was nice to see them win. I also have a soft spot for the Cardinals, I do so love an underdog and they really were the doormat of the league this year. The game was really good and I was pacing all over the place the last two minutes of the game. I really need to control my language since my "Holy @#$%" comment on the last touchdown made Carolyn ask me what that meant. And yes she repeated the phrase word for word. Commercial wise it wasn't too bad. We all had our 3-D glasses on and watched the special commercials at the end of the 1st half. I really liked the SOBE dancing lizards. I was a little surprised that the only car commercials I saw were for the foreign made ones but I should be glad the Big 3 chose to not spend their money on expensive commercials. Somehow I missed the Coke Zero commercial and had to watch it this morning. Saturday was really busy. I decided to go to my Weight Watchers meeting at 8. I think I'll keep that time. It made it a lot easier to make the aerobics class with hubby. As I mentioned in my last post I lost another pound last week. I was hoping for another 3 but at least I lost something. I really wanted to get my 5 pound sticker but I should get it this next Saturday. After my meeting was over I drove of to the Holiday Inn downtown. I wanted to attend a pre-legislative coffee meeting. As everyone knows the economy really stinks and states are having to really cut back on services or eliminate spending on different programs. Last week the Governor announced major budget cuts for this next fiscal year. Among the cuts was the Birth to 3 program. This is the program that provides services for children who are born with or are diagnosed with developmental or cognative disabilities. The proposal would eliminate the program and the two million dollars that go with it. Matthew and Carolyn both used this program with amazing success and Andrew currently receives services. A non-profit group had formed and gotten a meeting time set up with several legislators in the hope that at least 100 people would show up and let these people know how important this program is. Over 300 parents and professionals showed up. I didn't get a chance to speak with my district representative as I was sitting on the wrong side of the room and she left to go across the hall to the legislative coffee before I could get over there. I did talk to another representative who represented the East Side of Sioux Falls so I was close. For those loyal readers who live in SD. I would like to ask you to please drop a line to your rep and let him or her know how important this program is. The money that is spent on the really young children to correct problems will be saved sevenfold when these children don't require or require fewer special education services in grades K-12. It's around $2000 per year per child for Birth to 3 and around $8000 per year per child for special education services. Here are two websites to use. www.legis.state.sd.us/ and www.sd.gov/ The first one take you to the legislature website and you can e-mail your representative. The second site is the state of South Dakota and on the left hand side is link to the governor's website and you can e-mail him. Those loyal readers who do not live in SD but want to help are more than welcome to drop him a line. Before I go I do want to say thank you to all of you who do take the time to read my posts. I really appreciate it.

1 comment:

Pam H. said...

PLEASE tell me you saw the Cheetos & Doritos commercials! Oh!! And the Bridgestone Tire potato head one! I think they were probably my favs. . . the Budweiser Clydesdale ones were O.K. this year, but they didn't stand out as much for me as in past years!