I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Celebrations

Wow it's Wednesday already. These days it seems that my time is so used up that I'm forever looking for a few free minutes of peace and quiet. Last Friday was hubby's birthday and he took the day off. Of course it rained so the plans he wanted to make and the plans I wanted to make were put on hold and instead we went out to lunch with the kids and hung out at home. The pie I made him turned out great. There was a small problem with the pie though, I discovered little finger marks all over the meringue when I set it out to cool. Andrew turned out to be the culprit but we found out the little guy is not fond of raisins. He kept spitting them out every time Jim gave him a bite of pie. Carolyn, however really really liked the pie and happily ate every bite offered her and more. On Saturday the whole family was up and about early. We had decided to do the Avera Brest Cancer Event. Our Tae Kwan Do instructor had put a team together and planned on running the 5K portion. After talking it over Jim decided to try doing the 5K with Miss Jenn (our instructor) and I would take the kids and do the 1.5 mile fun walk. Another student had wanted to do the walk and he agreed to be my helper so we were a go for the day. The night before I had stopped by to get our stuff and forgot to make sure I had the correct T- shirt sizes and sure enough they gave me the wrong sizes but by then it was too late so I went over and switched shirts on race day. Hubby let me out to walk and took the kids and parked the van. We had a meeting place set up but I went to the wrong spot so there was a bit of nervousness as I stood among a sea of 5,000 looking for a guy with 3 kids pulling a red wagon. Fortunately I spotted the loving husband and Miss Jenn right before the race started and was able to reunite with the kids. Andrew was a bit on the tired side and a little cold so he decided that the only way he was going to do this event was if he was held. Yep, that's right, I walked the 1.5 mile route carrying 30+ pounds of toddler. Lets just say my arms were a little sore the next morning. Hubby made great time, finishing in under 40 minutes. When we finished up at the event we went home ate breakfast and headed off to Yankton. The main reason for going down to Yankton was to get my nephew Austin. We had wanted to have him watch the kids while we went out for date night. After leaving Yankton we stopped off at the Mall as Austin had some things he needed at Sears and then we went over to one of the furniture stores and hubby got his very comfy recliner. The one we got a few weeks ago was the one I liked and was comfortable for me to sit in but it was a little too short for hubby's reclining comfort. The new chair is very comfortable but I think it is a tad on the big side. Later that night after returning home and getting the kids fed and ready for bed hubby and I headed out to watch the new Star Trek Movie. The movie was totally worth the $8 and I would see it again in a heartbeat. Sunday was Mother's Day. I got some very nice cards and a dozen very beautiful red roses from the kids and Jim. Due to the ring stuff last month I wasn't expecting much in terms of gifts--I'll take my newly replaced diamond any day. I had invited Jim's family over to celebrate both his birthday and Mother's day so I was up early baking my hummingbird cake and trying to get the rest of the house cleaned. The cake turned out great. It tasted like a really rich banana bread and the cream cheese frosting (with butter) was perfect. I don't know if I'll make this cake very often but it is a keeper. My next cake project is for Carolyn's birthday. She wants a Barbie Princess cake. I plan on trying to do one. According to my mother in law, the trick of the skirt is to bake two bundt cake and put them together. I ordered a cake decorating kit so I hope I get it in time to do this cake. In the meantime I'll be looking for bundt cake recipes and trying to figure out which frosting will work the best. Any ideas would be welcomed.

1 comment:

The Hull Family said...

I've also heard the Pampered Chef batter bowls work well for a Barbie cake skirt... if you have one.