I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blueberry Scones

Last week I had a craving for something baked. I had blueberries in the fridge and since I was planning on freezing some I decided to look for something to make with the rest. I love muffins but that wasn't doing it for me and then my brain went"scones" and that was all it took. I jumped online and googled blueberry scones and up popped dozens of recipes. Opting for something on the easy and quick side I found this particular recipe at cooks.com. It is super easy and only requires 5 ingredients, one of which is Bisquick. I happen to have the low fat version so my scones were a little more healthy. I also used 1% milk and didn't notice any problems. The second time I made this recipe I coated the blueberries with the sugar before adding them and they were much sweeter. For those who count weight watchers points my version is 4 points per scone if you cut the dough into 8 wedges, 3 if you go for 10 or 12 wedges like the recipes says to do.

BLUEBERRY SCONES

3 C Bisquick
2 tbsp sugar
1 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 C milk
2 eggs

FOR GLAZE
1 egg well beaten
2 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In medium bowl combine the baking mix, 2 tablespoons sugar and blueberries. Pour milk in measuring cup. Add the eggs to the milk and beat with a fork until well mixed. Stir liquid into baking mix until moistened. (dough will be very crumbly)

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and pat into a 9 inch round, about 1/2 inch thick. Brush the dough with the beaten egg then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Cut the round into 12 wedges. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden. Serve immediately with butter or jam.

2 comments:

Pam H. said...

Yum!! Too bad I can't take this for Vikes. . . it says to serve warm, and the hour drive up to the Cities (aside from the fact I'm not getting up THAT much earlier in the morning to get them made fresh) pretty much blows that one out of the water!!!

Jackie said...

Sounds yummy! will have to try them soon!