I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Friday, July 31, 2009

When I die....

This might be a bit on the morbid side for some of you .....

So I was reading the obituaries this morning and didn't see my name in there, whew. I'm telling you, if I ever do find it then I'm cutting it out and posting it on the fridge for all to see. Call me weird, but I like to read obituaries. Most of the time I have no idea who the person was. When I was younger, I used to read the names in my hometown paper and look for the most unusual one. Sometimes Dad and I would try and see who could find the longest, strangest, most difficult to pronounce..you get the picture. I still do that to a certain extent. Sometimes the first name is a clue as to how old the person was, other times someone has a really unusual name that catches my attention. Now I'm sure there are those individuals who might think this is tacky or disrespectful but I assure you I'm not meaning any disrespect or disgrace to anyone. I like to read about the people and their lives. Some have really long touching obits and others are more factual. There are people who are survived by dozens of descendants and others who have very few people mentioned. As I read through the account I usually think to myself that this is someone I would have liked to have met. These are ordinary people who led for the most part ordinary lives. I'm not too ashamed to admit that I have shed a few tears now and then after reading a particular obit. Sometimes it's the fact that they lived a full life and were survived by many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and other times I look at the age of the person and can't help but feel sadness that they never got the chance to live very long. Just as sad as the little ones are those who were in the prime of their life and had families who depended on them.

As I read the obituaries, I am reminded of the story in the Bible about the rich man who spent his time and energy accumulating wealth so he could live his life out in comfort. As he was bragging about it the LORD called him a fool and informed him that later that night his life would be demanded of him. It is a reminder that our lives are a gift given to us and can be taken away at any time. I'd like to hope that someday when I'm really old and my kids have given me grandchildren and great grandchildren my photo will appear in the local paper and nice words will be written about me. The reality is that decision is not mine to make and never will be. The blessing in that fact is I have the power to use each day given to me to the best of my abilities. Every morning I wake up is one more morning to be grateful for. Every evening before going to bed I thank GOD for the day He has given me whether is was a bad day or good day. I tell my children and husband I love them on a regular basis and the hubby and I give kisses and hugs to each other every morning and evening. On those occasions when one of us is unable to due to distance then we communicate via phone. I'm not perfect by any means but I do try to treat people fairly and without malice. I try and show by my actions what I say with my words. I will never waste my time wondering "why me" and wishing I had what others have such as wealth or power or celebrity status. I will still get angry with others and have my feelings hurt but I make it a priority not to dwell on it and let the negative feelings destroy me. My only hope is that when I do die I will be remembered by my friends and family as a kind caring individual who loved her children and husband. And when I stand in judgement I will be able to hold my head high and be proud of the person I was.

So the question I have for you dear readers is this....if you had the power to read your own obituary and attend your own funeral, would you be proud of the person eulogized?

No comments: