I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

He did what???

I was actually going to post about the great weekend the kids had with their grandparents. My folks don't get out to this part of the state too often and the last time we were in Rapid City was back in June. Grandma and Grandpa brought some gifts for the kids: a ball for Matthew, a toy truck for Andrew and a very cute stuffed lion for Carolyn. Carolyn decided to name her lion Baxter. A really cute name but soon the adults were encouraging her to pick a different name as pronunciation of said name can be quite tricky and if the "x" sound is not correctly pronounced then the resulting name is not very G-rated. (Say the name Little Baxter three times quickly and you get my meaning) Because Jim needed to replace the Buick he decided to take my dad and Matthew along. Mom and I stayed back home so Andrew would have a chance at getting some nappage and Carolyn had fun being the center of attention. Later that afternoon we went out to the mall to do some shopping. Mom was looking for a pair of Nike shoes, size 15 for my brother and also wanted to stop at JC Penny's to use a coupon. While Mom was looking at one of the stores, I took Andrew and Carolyn and let them play in the play area that our mall has. I so wish they had these when I was young but I'm glad they have them now. We got called away from our shopping so I could sign the paperwork on the car. I will say that buying a car is sooo much easier when there are extra people to amuse bored children. When everything was signed we left and Carolyn went home with Daddy (Jim) Andrew stayed with me and Mom to finish our shopping. Other than taking out the cash and credit cards in my wallet, he did pretty well. Jim cooked stir fry for the folks and kids while Mom and I finished up. I had my free meal that I had won earlier in the week so we decided to cash in on the free babysitting and enjoy a really cheap date. The kids had a ton of fun playing card games with Grandpa (no, not poker) and we had apple pie set out for snack. I had to laugh, when later I phoned home to check on the kids and Mom informed me Andrew had a bath due to being "stinky". Jim thought it was a little unnecessary to give the kid a bath just because he had a messy diaper but I told him that any kids that poops in the presence of Grandma gets a bath. My folks left Sunday morning so they could be home at a reasonable time. It was windy that day and it was quite difficult for them. They got terrible gas mileage across the state even when they dropped the speed. Lucky for them they did not stop at the McDonalds here in Brandon as the big M blew over and crashed nearby. The big scoreboard at the high school football field in Sioux Falls also blew down. The loving husband had picked up a small head cold the week before and by Monday he was feeling the need for medical intervention so I made him an afternoon appointment. The idea was to have him do the appointment and then take Matthew to his swim lessons. Usually Jim does a cardio kickboxing class and Matthew does a kids fitness class after the lessons but since Jim was not feeling the best he decided not to do his class but decided to stay and let Mathew participate in his. I decided to take the other two kids down to the Wellness Center with the grand idea that Jim and I could practice our Tae Kwan Do moves while the kids were occupied. We ended up not doing much practicing but did walk the track for a while instead. When we got back over to the nursery area I left to go change clothes while Jim headed in to collect the kids and put jackets on. I arrived a few minutes later and figured out something was not quite right. There was a little girl about Matthew's age crying and the nursery staff was talking to her mother and Matthew was sitting quietly next to Jim. It turns out that a few minutes earlier when the fitness class let out there were a few kids left playing in the gym. Some of the kids ran to the nursery staff telling them there was a naked boy in the bathroom. When staff investigated they found a naked Matthew laughing. Asked why he did it.. he replied "she asked me to" and pointed to one of the girls. I guess the girl had asked Matthew to take his clothes off and of course the kid did. Thankfully nothing bad happened and everything got all straightened out so last night Matthew went back to the nursery while Jim and I were at class. As a punishment from us, his parents, Matthew was not allowed to use the kids gym last night. We figured that even though he was not at fault for the striptease the night before he needed to learn that it is not appropriate to take his clothes off in a public place. We will be working with him in the next few weeks on what appropriate requests are and how to say no to inappropriate ones. Matthew loves attention so if he gets a reaction he will repeat or continue the behavior but he can't distinguish between positive reactions and negative reactions. Tonight Matthew has swimming lessons and the fitness class so I'm thinking that we will let him do the class. The nursery does crafts on Wednesdays so I'll be bringing Carolyn there to make something. Tomorrow night the center is having a huge Halloween party so I'm thinking that we will take the kids there.

No comments: