I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Monday, February 14, 2011

It really is the thought that counts

Valentine's Day, the one holiday I really can't stand. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not against love or anything. I'm just not in favor of Corporate America telling me I have to spend a boatload of money just to let everyone know that I love my spouse. However, there are those who celebrate this day, some with reluctance, others with boundless enthusiasm, that might be reading this post and wonder what my point is...

Well to be truthful it is about giving the special someone in your life a Valentines Day gift.

Hey wait, didn't I just write about my dislike of the whole spending money for this stupid holiday? Why yes, yes I did. This post isn't about the commercial or monetary meaning of this holiday. It's about celebrating the meaning behind the holiday which of course honors St. Valentine the Patron Saint of lovers, martyred in AD 269 for giving aid to Christians
(not allowed) and supposedly trying to convert the Emperor (gutsy but not too wise).

Anyway, back to the 21st century..and what has now become an excuse to drain your bank account in the name of love (or stupidity). The giving of a Valentine's Day gift should be a thoughtful and careful one, it should reflect both a part of yourself and a part of the person who is to receive it. A gift which is given freely from the heart out of love will always be cherished as opposed to something thought of and bought at the last minute.

Commercials on the TV and radio try to paint a perfect picture of what true love is supposed to look like, especially if you use or give their product to that special someone. However, those are not real people (with exception to the dating sites) and this isn't always what love looks like. Yes a diamond lasts forever but if the relationship is not on a solid foundation then what good is buying "a symbol of your love" ? Flowers are pretty but if they are bought just because that's what you do on Valentine's Day, why spend the money?

Well here it is, the point of this post. When giving a gift on this day, it really is the thought that counts. Seriously, we women want you guys to actually put time and effort into our gift. Run to the store in a panic the night before or day of and you are setting yourself up for disaster. The best gifts don't always come in a box or vase or insert store name here. Be creative, be bold, go sappy, it doesn't matter as long as whatever gift you give has a significant meaning behind it.

What I'm trying to say is that if you are going to spend money and celebrate this holiday then do it because you love your significant other and for no other reason. I realize there are some people out there who are very self-centered and shallow and want only things and attention. For them it's all about the how much are you gonna spend on me and how much can I brag to my friends about this. I truly feel sorry for them because this is not what the holiday is about. They are so caught up in the marketing and social expectations of this day that they fail to appreciate the blessings they have.

So there you have it, my annual Valentine's Day post. The funny thing about Valentine's Day is it always finds a way to creep into my life and shower me with love. This year it was in the form of the word's cutest 6 year old handing me a home made colored and cut out heart with I (heart) you on it. This accompanied by a big hug and "I love you Mommy".

See, it really is the thought that counts.

No comments: