I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'm back now

Well I really wanted to do a birthday blog post and put a photo of my new ipod nano and the really cute photo holder I got as gifts from the loving husband and kids but our computer had a few issues so it didn't happen. I wanted to do a blog about the random goings on the next week but the new antivirus software hubby installed refused to acknowledge the existence of my server so it was a few more days of waiting. But now everything seems to be in working order so I'm gonna try and do a catch up post on the past few weeks.

Skipping past the whole turning another year older (which is way overrated) the month of May ended on a positive note. I really didn't expect a gift from the husband since I did get my diamond replaced earlier this year so the ipod was a surprise. For Christmas I had gotten a new stereo system installed in the van and there was an ipod attachment included. The shuffles that both of us have do work but do not go through the car radio (they use an attachment cord) but any other ipod can be hooked up and controlled by the radio controls. It's really nice to be able to push a button and get commercial-free music.

The kids also ended school that last week of May so they have been home with me. Of course no summer vacation would be complete without someone getting sick and that was Andrew. He woke up with croup last Monday. Needless to say that day was a lot of fun. The weather has been so so with last week being very outside friendly but this week has been cool and rainy. Matthew will be starting a 3 day a week summer program tomorrow and Carolyn starts her summer school next week. I am so looking forward to having them out of the house and occupied. Don't get me wrong, I do love my kids but having three kids all day every day is enough to make me want to relocate to the nearest Arctic outpost.

Last Thursday I got to have a little "me time" and took a 24 hour trip across the state to visit my parents in Rapid City. After 37 years teaching Middle School, my dad was finally retiring. The teachers at the school were having a party for the retirees and their families. Since this was not a kid-friendly event and my parents both had to work that weekend (Dad works part time maintenance at the mall), I decided to go out for the party and return the next day. I gave hubby the option of using vacation time and staying home with the kids or working at the office and I would find childcare. He opted for working and the kids had a ton of fun at the Brandon Mini Lynx Daycare. I totally love my ipod and stereo system as I had something to listen to as I drove across the very big state of South Dakota. There is not much in the way of radio stations when you get out in the middle of the state. Such a far cry from the college days of past when I tootled across the state in my little Lynx with no air or cruise control with my trusty cassette player radio for company. I also love the fact I can go 75 instead of 55 like I did back then.

My trip across the state would not be complete unless something happened to me at some point in my travels. Much to my dismay I found out the Taco John's in Chamberlain was closed so I had to do Arby's instead. I had gotten a lovely Mountain Dew and thoroughly enjoyed it as I drove the endless miles. I swear they do road construction on the same spots. I wonder if the powers to be just open up a map and say "yep, we did that stretch last year. Let's go down about a mile or so and rip up the next 20 miles" Anyway I had been driving several hours without a break and my bladder was telling me it was time to stop. Seeing the sign for the Belvidere rest stop I thought "what the heck, I'll just stop in the town and get gas too instead of stopping now and then driving another 15 miles to Kadoka" I had never actually stopped in this town since the rest stop is a few miles outside of town and I usually fill up in other towns. I took the exit and turned into town and as I was doing so I noticed flashing lights. They were coming from the parking lot of one of the two stations in town. There was an ambulance and two state patrol cars. Driving by I noticed about 4 or 5 cops and one not too happy guy standing with his hands behind his back. OK, I guess I'll go to the station across the street and avoid all this mess. I turned into the other gas station and it was then I noticed that almost all of the pumps had bags on them. There were no cars anywhere and I was not sure the station was even in business. Plan B.. try the other place. (Did I mention that this is a really small podunk town?) I pulled up and as I was getting out of the car the owner greeted me warmly. I asked her if they were open and could I buy gas. She said they were open and yes I could. She apologised to me and said she only had one type of gas which was regular (no ethanol) but gave a discount for paying cash. I told her I would buy $10 worth. The pump was at least 40 years old. I had to lift up the nozzle and flip a lever to turn the pump on and then it was the kind where the numbers turn (not electronic). There was a pickup parked at the pump on the other side and there were a few beer bottles sitting on the top of the bed. According to the owner the occupant of the truck was being arrested for drunk driving and resisting arrest. She was quite excited to tell me that I just missed the action and if I looked closely I could still see the blood. I'm sure it was probably a local yokel who drank a little too much at the bar down the road and picked a fight with someone at the station--but I was not about to ask. I really didn't want to hear the latest county gossip. I will say they did have one of the cleanest restrooms I have been in for a gas station. As I was driving away another highway patrol car pulled up to the scene. Seeing three state cars there all I could think of was "pedal to the metal baby no cops for miles around!!" Realistically knowing the gas station was between two state patrol posts there was a very good chance that all cops in a 50 mile radius were there so unless I hit a sheriffs patrol car on the interstate I was good for about 80 miles. I did not speed but I also didn't see any more patrol cars. After arriving in Rapid City I had a wonderful time with my family and spend a heavenly night sleeping all by myself in a bed without having to share it with any one or any animal. My return trip was pretty uneventful.

There is much more I could write about but I think I've written enough. I now have to wait until Andrew gets up from nap and run to the store for whipping cream. I'm trying yet another cake and frosting recipe and forgot to buy the whip cream. I hope this one turns out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Life Is...: I'm back now" to our Directory of Pets . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Vaca-tion.info Team

http://www.vaca-tion.info