I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oh that's why I felt so full..oops

I have documented my journey into weight loss many times on my blog and I had to share this story. For those who know me, this is pure Cindy.

On Sunday we had the annual birthday get together with Jim's family. There are 4 nieces and nephews (Matthew included) along with my brother-in-law who have February birthdays so we do one "party" to celebrate. Due to schedules the date was March 1 but that's OK. We usually do a potluck style and everyone is in charge of bringing a dish. We were in charge of desserts. The nice thing about doing the Weight Watchers plan is that it is very flexible and accommodating to real life situations like family get togethers. Knowing that we were going to be eating hot dogs, chili, potato soup and chips along with cake and ice cream made me decide that Sunday would be a perfect day to skip the point counting. This is an event that only comes up a few times a year and I didn't want to offend anyone by not eating the food because I was on a "diet". I also planned on making my homade carrot cake and darn it I wanted to eat at least a piece. Carrot cake is worth 16 points per piece and I have a total of 21 points to use. I lost a point when I hit my 10 pound mark. Rather than stressing about all the points I would use I figured that if I eat sensible and not go overboard I'd be just fine. Hubby has been working on his chocolate lava cake and has it nearly perfected so he decided to make some up to take along. It was also on the please please bring list according to various family members. I do like the cake but it is sooo rich that I can only eat a little bit of it. I think I did a total to two or three bites and Carolyn and Matthew and Andrew had the rest. The carrot cake was oh so wonderful and we managed to give away any leftovers before leaving. I actually saved room for that, and it was so worth it. Now I need to find a lemon cake recipe for the June birthday celebration. Anyway back to the lava cake. The recipe calls for 3 eggs and 3 egg whites. I had forgotten that hubby doubled the recipe and took 12 cakes instead of 6. The leftover egg whites were in a bowl in the fridge. I decided as I was doing lunch for the kids and figuring out which leftovers to use for supper that I'd make myself an egg white omelet and use up the egg whites. Counting points is really a game of numbers and sometimes a food will have more than one point value depending on how much of it is used or if it has been cooked. Eggs are 2 points apiece but 3 egg whites are only 1 point. I happily dumped my egg whites in a bowl, added some low-fat cheese and low fat ham and made up a terrific looking lunch. I noticed that the bowl that the egg whites were in seemed small so I had gotten out a bigger one. (clue #1) I thought that 3 minutes would be enough time in the microwave but after the timer beeped the eggs were still a little runny (clue #2) so I gave them another minute and them dumped them on a plate. I did use a smaller plate but I was surprised at how much omelet there was (clue #3) I happily ate all of my lunch thinking that wow I've got to do the egg white thing more often, this is a really filling lunch. It was so filling that I didn't really need a snack that afternoon although I did eat some avocado with Carolyn who really wanted to try some. When supper time came around I really was not that hungry and ate very little. Later that night as we were driving home from Tae Kwan Do class hubby and I were talking about meals for the week. I mentioned that I had used up the egg whites in the fridge and also told him how 3 egg whites cost less point wise than one egg. It was then that the loving husband reminded me that there were not 3 egg whites in the bowl as I had thought but 6 of them because he had doubled the recipe. Yep, I ate a 6 egg white omelet. I guess that's why I needed a bigger bowl to cook them in and they took so much longer than usual to cook. My big "duh" should have been when I saw how much food was on the plate. Totally clueless here. I think the brain decided to fly south for the winter. Well I went back today and corrected my mistake and gave myself another point for the extra 3 egg whites. I will say that eating that much protein really does help curb the appetite for a very long time. Hubby got a great laugh too.

No comments: