I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

High School never ends

So I was listening to the radio during lunch and the song "High School Never Ends" by the group Bowling for Soup came on the radio. For those with teenagers this might be a familiar group and or song. Anyway the song is about the fact we spend four years suffering through High School with the promise that this too will pass and once we graduate then the real world will be soooo much better. Yeah Right!!!! Listen to the song and it will ring very true with 99.9% of us. The song goes on to say pretty much that everywhere you look people are acting just like they did in high school. "The whole damn world is just as obsessed with who's the best dressed and who's having sex..." Think about it, how many TV programs are devoted to style, fashion and looks?? Do I even need to proceed to the tabloid news shows and magazines??? Even reality TV ( what an oxymoron) is loaded with those special water cooler moments designed to get us gossiping and wondering what next. Now I'm not totally against the high school years, they were pretty fun times and I do have a lot of great memories. I like the song because it reminds me that as people we get stuck in a role and if we are not careful we end up playing that character for the rest of our life. When you look around do you see the class clown, jock, bully or band geek or do you see your coworker, your kid's coach, your boss, and that lady you buy the coffee from and says hi to you every morning? I'd like to say that I have moved on and I don't dwell on those things but that would be pushing the truth a little bit. No, I'm not the band geek anymore..I stopped playing flute when I graduated college and never in a million years would I have pictured myself as a housewife and stay at home mother. I'm sure if you asked any of my friends back in 1990 when we were ready to conquer the world what they would be like in 20 years they would give answers that were completely different then if you asked them that question now. Oh and for those of you readers who are over the age of 30, please listen to the song "Different World" by Bucky Coventon. I promise that those lyrics will tug at your heartstrings and bring back those fond memories of growing up along with the fervent wish that today's children could be so lucky.

No comments: