I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sour cream sugar cookies

I have a secret to confess..I like cookies. I like to make them, I like to bake them and I like to eat them. This time of the year finds me in the kitchen making holiday treats for friends and family. Usually I do my oatmeal chocolate chip or peanut butter or even a snickerdoodle since they seem to go over pretty well. As for the much beloved sugar cookie?? I have to confess, I am not a fan of the roll out the dough and use cookie cutter kind. For some strange reason I have never really liked those oh so cute frosted and decorated staples of every holiday dessert platter. I don't know if it is the texture or taste but they just don't do it for me. No, it's not the work needed to do the cookie, but I will admit there is a lot more preparation and time needed than any of the other cookies. I just think it comes down to taste and over the years I have found very few frosted and decorated cookies that actually tasted good. They are either too heavy or too dry or too hard (my most common complaint) or too cakey for my liking. However....give me a soft warm drop sugar cookie and I'm in cookie heaven. Yes, there is a difference between the two. The rolled out version is a firmer dough that must be chilled and rolled out onto a flat surface so the individual cookies can be cut out of the dough with some form of cookie cutter. The drop version is a softer dough that can be "dropped" from a spoon onto the cookie sheet and pressed flat with the bottom of a glass. It is this type of cookie that I like to make and eat. Courtesy of Betty Crocker is this wonderful delicious recipe. For the record, I use regular sour cream and I would advise against trying the fat free version.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking POWDER
1/2 tsp baking SODA
1/2 tsp salt
Extra sugar in a bowl

To make:

Set oven to 350
Mix 1 cup sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla, and egg.
Stir in remaining ingredients except bowl of sugar.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into bowl of sugar, roll gently, until completely coated.
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Flatten to about 1/2 inch with bottom of a glass.
Bake 7-8 minutes or just until set.
Cool slightly and remove from cookie sheet.
Makes about 3 1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.

No comments: