I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed.

Monday, October 12, 2009

I did it!!!!



Look, we match!!!!


About as traditional a shot as I could get.




After two and a half years of practice and training, one completely grueling and rigorous test, three missed board breaks, two separate re-break attempts, and one heartbreaking failure.......


I FINALLY BROKE THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing to it really, all I had to do was believe in myself and shut that little voice up that was telling me not to do this. Special thanks to the loving husband who decided that Styrofoam was the key to learning this break. Yes, it looks pretty funny holding a piece of Styrofoam and breaking it but by doing that I was able to get over my fear of the board hurting me and I was able to concentrate on the proper stance and form needed to do this break. It still took 3 tries but this time I did the break with only the loving husband and the instructor in the room with me after class had finished. I had much less nervousness and I had an inner feeling of confidence. When the board actually did break--I could tell by the sound it made--and the top piece fell on the floor, I dropped the other piece and did what could only be called the "Cindy Squeal" while jumping up and down. The clapping I heard came from the other Black Belts and instructors who were assembled in another room for a meeting. They of course had been watching the whole time but my brain didn't know that so the nerves never got to me. Unfortunately, the members of my Sioux Falls class were not able to attend this class in Brookings so they did not get to see this event.

To be fair, the self-hold knife is still an icky, nasty, horrible break, but it does look pretty cool when done correctly. I'm done with this break for now but in a few years when I test for second degree I can't say for sure that this won't be a break I need to do again. I really hope not because...

I HATE DOING THAT BREAK.

No comments: